Today I’m sharing a breakfast or brunch delicacy French Toast. These are sweet french toast not the savory ones that we are used to in India, though I have to admit I love those too 🙂 This recipe is a little different than plain french toast recipe as they are stuffed and oat crusted but very easy to make. It’s a 20 minute recipe with all the preparation and cooking but will look like that a lot of work has gone into it, something that will wow your guests. 🙂
The recipe is inspired from the amazing french toasts we ate a bed and breakfast in Vermont. They were cream cheese stuffed and oat crusted, not too sweet and were served with fresh Vermont maple syrup. They tasted so different and good that I had to try them at home. I’ve been perfecting this recipe for a while now, been using different fillings and types of bread. I usually make this with Nutella or cream cheese but you can get creative and use jams, marmalades and spreads like peanut butter, hazelnut or fig spread.
Do give this recipe a try, it will wow kids and adults both. The combination of cream cheese or Nutella and oats, the berries and maple syrup just tastes divine leaving you wanting for more!
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon powder
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- Powdered sugar to taste
- Mixed berries of choice (strawberries, blackberries, raspberries or blueberries to taste)
- Maple syrup to taste
- A loaf of french bread or thick sliced bread like Brioche
- Cream cheese to taste
- Nutella to taste
- Some instant oats to coat the bread
- Butter to cook the toast.
- In a bowl crack 2 eggs, add ½ cup of milk, ¼ tsp cinnamon powder, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 2 tbsp of honey. Whisk well and keep the egg mixture aside.
- Cut the bread slices from the loaf, should be roughly about an inch thick. The egg mixture makes about 6 french toasts. Then create a pocket by making a slit in the center for the filling. Cutting a thin piece will make the toast difficult to work with. It may break or may not hold the filling well.
- Fill the bread slice with about 1 tbsp of nutella or cream cheese and keep aside.
- Take some instant oats and spread them in a plate.
- Dip the stuffed toast in the egg mixture and remove excess. Next roll it in the oats to evenly coat the bread. You want the oats in every bite!
- Dip and roll all the bread slices and keep aside.
- In a tawa or pan add some butter and let it melt and spread it evenly on the pan. Place the toasts on the pan and cook them for 2-3 minutes on each side or until they develop a golden brown color. Also keep pressing the toasts with a spatula to cook the toasts evenly and making sure there is no uncooked egg in the bread.
- Plate the french toasts and top it off with some crushed berries, powdered sugar and maple syrup. You can also add some white butter. Enjoy hot!