Today I’m sharing my favorite variation of Maggi, Egg Maggi. It’s a street style dish that I learnt from our canteen guy when I used to work for Flipkart in Bangalore. He made such delicious egg maggi that it became my favorite snack or a quick lunch. I had never tried egg maggi before and I really loved the idea especially since it makes the maggi more filling! He added lots of onions and chillies and capsicum and everyone in office used to love it!
I recreated this recipe at home and came up with a slightly more chatpata version of my Flipkart Maggi. This recipe is a must try if you like eggs and maggi, and is so easy to make. It is extremely delish and filling too. I usually add 2 eggs per maggi when the eggs are small in size and sometimes add shredded cabbage for some extra crunch (think chowmein :)). Do add cabbage if you have some lying around. Give this recipe a try and I am sure this will become one of your favorite maggi recipes.
- 2-3 eggs (use 3 if eggs are small in size)
- 2 single packs of Maggi
- A little less than 1 ½ cups water
- ½ medium onion (sliced)
- ½ capsicum or bell peppers (sliced)
- Red or green chilli to taste (chopped)
- 1 cup shredded cabbage (optional)
- ½ tsp roasted cumin powder (optional)
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp red chilli powder or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tbsp of olive oil or vegetable oil
- 2-3 tbsp of Hot and Sweet Maggi sauce (or ketchup)
- To cook the maggi, in a microwave safe bowl, break 2 packs of maggi, add the masala, leave a little bit to garnish in the end.
- Add a little less than 1 ½ cups of water. Cook in the microwave for 4 minutes on high. Once done keep it aside. Do not worry if you see some water left, the maggi will soak it up. Don't be tempted to cook more, you don't want to make the maggi mushy.
- You can even cook the maggi on the stove, follow the same instructions(but bring the water to a boil and then add the maggi).
- In a pan, add 1-2 tbsp of olive oil, once hot add the sliced onion and fry on high flame for 4 minutes until the onions become crisp.
- Add the capsicum and the chillies next and fry to 3-4 minutes(add the shredded cabbage at this time if you have some). Then add the spices, a pinch of turmeric powder, ½ tsp garam masala, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ½ tsp roasted cumin powder and salt to taste.
- Cook for a minute and then add 2-3 tbsp of hot and sweet maggi sauce and saute for another 30 seconds.
- Then push the veggies aside, and break 2-3 eggs, scramble and combine the eggs with the veggies. Cook until the mixture is completely dry.
- Toss in the cooked maggi and mix well for about 2 minutes and your egg maggi is done. Serve hot and sprinkle some leftover maggi masala and crushed black pepper. Enjoy!