Today’s post is a super healthy recipe made with beetroot. It’s a quick stir fry with South Indian flavors. This is my go to side dish with dal and rice. Beetroot has lot of health benefits and I keep finding ways to incorporate it in my diet. Beetroot Poriyal requires very few ingredients but is so delicious that you’ll make it again and again.
- 3 medium sized beetroots (diced)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves
- 4-5 green chillies or to taste (slit lengthwise)
- 1 tablespoon chana dal (split gram lentils)
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoon shredded coconut (dried or fresh)
- Salt to taste
- In a pan, heat 1 tbsp of coconut oil.
- Add 1 tsp mustard seeds, when they start spluttering, add 1 tbsp chana dal, give it a minute and add curry leaves.
- Once the chana dal gets some color, lower the flame and add the slit green chillies, pinch of turmeric and ½ tsp coriander powder. Saute for 30 seconds and add the chopped beetroot.
- Add some salt to taste and saute on high for 2 minutes.
- Then lower the flame, cover with a lid and cook for 8-10 minutes. You can sprinkle some water if the poriyal gets too dry. Do not overcook.
- Lastly, add 2 tbsp of shredded coconut, give it a stir.
- Serve hot with your favorite dal and rice. Enjoy!