Hello friends! Spring is here and I feel like making salads and eating fresh veggies and what better way to eat raw vegetables than dipping it in a bowl of silky and creamy hummus. Even better if the hummus is bright and beautiful like the spring. Time to make my version of beetroot hummus!
Hummus is very easy to make at home and it tastes just as good if not better than store bought hummus. This recipe can be tweaked in many ways, you can make it plain or add avocado instead of beet root(Green hummus!). The addition of beetroot gives it a beautiful pink color and makes the hummus even more nutritious. This is a very healthy dip, it has proteins from the chickpeas, good fat from olive oil and tahini and lots antioxidants from the beetroot.
Make this for your next party and everyone will ask you for the recipe, it’s so gorgeous to look at and tastes good too 🙂 You can also replace your meals with hummus and veggies as its very wholesome and filling. Do give this recipe a try, you’ll love it.
- 3 cups or 2 (425 gm) cans of boiled chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 3 tablespoon of tahini (white sesame paste)
- 2-3 large lemons and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper powder or red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon zaatar spice mix
- ⅓ cup - ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 raw beetroot (peeled and cut into big chunks)
- ½ cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash and strain the chickpeas well if using canned chickpeas. Make sure to get rid of the starch.
- In a blender add 3 cups of boiled chickpeas, 3 tbsp of tahini, juice of 2 lemons, 2 cloves of garlic, ½ cup of olive oil, ½ cup water, 1 beetroot cut into chunks, ½ tsp paprika,
- ½ tsp cumin powder, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend until smooth, give a taste and check for lemon and seasoning. Add the lemon zest next and give another swirl.
- Take out the hummus in a bowl and top it off with some more olive oil, ½ tsp zaatar and some cayenne pepper.
- Chill the hummus in the refrigerator for a while and serve with pita chips or pita bread and sliced raw vegetables such as cucumber, celery, tomato, carrot, sweet bell peppers. Enjoy!