Hello friends.. Hope you all are doing great!!
Just came back from Iceland and I have to tell you the pictures and the hype is real. Iceland is stunningly beautiful and every place that we visited was breathtaking. Not to mention the northern lights, never seen anything quite like it in my entire life, simply magical! Can’t wait to go back and see the remaining parts of the island. The food in Iceland was pretty good but very expensive, we got to try authentic Icelandic cuisine in some restaurants but were mostly driving so had to make do with gas station food, which was surprisingly good. Had a very good veggie burger after a long long time 🙂
Now back to cooking 🙂
Today i’m sharing a super easy and healthy recipe for hasselback chicken, I have used Italian flavors, but really you can make so many variations. (Cajun, mediterranean etc).
I’m not a big fan of chicken breast but this is a great way to cook and eat it. Hasselback chicken is succulent, moist and delicious. Cooking it in a skillet and adding cherry tomatoes makes it even more flavorful.
Serve it with a side of salad or grilled vegetables, this recipe will surely become a weeknight favorite.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts
- ½ cup red bell pepper sliced(cut the sliced peppers in half)
- ½ cup small onion (sliced)
- 12-15 basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons tomato pesto or regular pesto
- 2-3 tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons of grated Parmigiano Reggiano(or to taste)
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Dry the chicken breast on a paper towel. With the help of a sharp knife cut 6 crosswise slits on top of the chicken breast. Do not cut all the way through.
- Season the chicken breast with some salt and pepper.
- Add 1-2 slices of onion, a few red bell pepper slices and 1 leaf of basil into each slit. (If the slit is large add more or else 1-2 slices).
- Fill all the slits and apply 1 tbsp of tomato pesto on each piece, also sprinkle some italian seasoning.
- Place the chicken breast and cherry tomatoes in a skillet or oven safe dish. Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil, followed by 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.(make sure to pour over the chicken and tomatoes).
- Lightly season the cherry tomatoes with some salt, pepper and italian seasoning. Now add 2 tbsp of water. (water will help make a nice sauce)
- Place the skillet in the oven and bake at 400F for 20 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Take out the chicken and sprinkle some parmesan cheese and broil or grill for 3-5 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is nice and golden(Keep the oven door open as you want to keep an eye and not burn the chicken).
- Garnish with some chopped basil leaves. Serve hot and don’t forget to pour some sauce over the chicken from the skillet. Enjoy with a side of salad or vegetables.